The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has worked tirelessly for many years to end gun violence. In an effort to educate parents, schools and communities about the role guns play in school violence, the center has cited the following facts:
- 68% of school shooters acquired their guns from their own home or that of a relative
- 1,700,000 children live with unlocked loaded guns
- 76% of children ages 5-14 know where firearms are kept in the home
- 4 out of 10 firearm homicides take place in a home
- 8 out of 10 firearm suicides take place in a home
- 9 out of 10 unintentional shooting fatalities take place in a home
No one ever intends for anything bad to happen to their child or anyone else’s, but it is easy to overlook some basic safety actions that can save lives. Let’s remind everyone to take precautions when storing guns.